The Cross-raising cathedral of Russian Orthodox Church is situated on the island in the Moskovsky district of Kaliningrad city in the building of former evangelical church – Kroyts-kirche.
The church had been designed by the Berlin architect Arthur Kikton before The First world war. It was founded in 1930 and sanctified on May, 7-th of 1933. The Kroyts-kirche turned out to be the last church built in Kenigsberg and meant as a parish church projected especially for the district located on the east from Vaydendamm and Lindenshtrasse streets.
The facade of the building resembles the form of Greek cross. The church cannot be reckoned among any styles from architectural point of view: its towers are similar to eastern minarets. Two rows of columns divide the internal space of the church into tree naves. The apartment building for the clergy adjoins the eastern part of the church.
The building did not suffer from the war almost at all but started disintegrating in the peaceful time. An auto repairing workshop had been arranged here just after the war which was then replaced by the fishing net factory. A singe body of the temple was divided into several floors, a number of concrete columns appeared in the center. The form of the roof was modified. Heavy manufacturing equipment was installed on the upper floors that caused overloading of the building’s basement and, consequently, wall cracks.
In the September of 1989 the kircher was transferred to the Kaliningrad-Smolensk diocese of Russian Orthodox Church. The building of the church was fully cleared in 1990 and in 1991 the parish was registered.
During the years 1991-1994 the reconstruction and full restoration of the temple had been conducted. The community temporary carried out the divine service in the former kircher building (now it’s the Protection of the Saint Blessed Virgin parish). The building acquired its two-floor appearance.
On the 16 of January of 1994 the cathedral’s upper temple was sanctified by mitropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad in honor of God’s Cross Raising.
In the 1995 the cathedral’s lower temple consecration was conducted by mitropolitan Kirill of Smolensk and Kaliningrad in honor of Holy Trinity Alexander Nevski.